Friday, October 17, 2014

WHAT AWAITS US BEYOND THE NEXT ELECTION???


So, let’s just say for the sake of argument that the Republicans end up with control of the Senate after the midterm elections. Then what? Will the leadership that we presently have, and most likely will still have when the next Congress begins the new session, have the wisdom, the skill, the forthrightness and the courage, to do what we all know must be done if there is to be any hope of saving the Republic?

I wish I could say, and with some level of confidence that, yes, they will! But the sad fact is that if recent history provides us with any sort of an example, I’m afraid that that is very unlikely. I hate to sound like a pessimist here, as I do pride myself on being somewhat of a ‘glass is half full’ kind of guy, I also pride myself on being a realist. And try as I might, I’m just not sure if things will be different.

So why, then, even bother handing over to the Republicans the complete control of Congress? Well, if for no other reason than to acquire for myself a certain amount of satisfaction from having poked my finger into the eye of Barry ‘O’. And because maybe, just maybe, the Republicans will come through for us, the American people, and the country. That from somewhere will come the necessary courage to act.

And if they don’t, well then, I think even they realize that come 2016 they’re done. As I have said before, the Republicans will be provided with only the very briefest window of opportunity to make the substantive changes that we all know must be made. The free-reign that Barry has had since first coming into office must now come under much closer scrutiny. Things cannot continue as they have.

So, we wait and see. Not only to see who comes out on top in this next election, but to see, if we do gain control of the Senate, what is it that will come next? I’d like to think that the next two years would be spent proving just how much more benevolent, and supportive, conservatism is than is liberalism. Or, on building a foundation upon which Republican candidates for president, whoever they might be, could actually run in 2016.

No comments:

Post a Comment