Wednesday, June 10, 2015

PERFECT TIME TO BUY STOCK IN BURGER KING OR WENDY’S???


I admit it, when I was a kid, all those many years ago, my family and I did spend some amount of time eating at McDonald’s.  But that had a lot more to do with the fact that my Dad liked the taste of their fries than it did with anything else.  But today, whether it’s because more Americans have become more health conscious, or because of an increase in competition, it would seem that the fast-food chain has seen a significant decrease in its sales of late.  So what’s a corporation to do? 

Now I’m certainly no business expert, but it seems to me that it wouldn’t make much sense, at least from a business standpoint, to bring in someone that has no experience in business.  But be that as it may, Robert Gibbs, of Barry press secretary fame, has been hired on to build McDonalds into the nation’s first ‘modern, progressive burger company.’  Things will, most likely, go from bad to worse and in pretty short order.  How is it that anyone could think this is anywhere near being a good idea?

So the former Barry Spokesmoron, Robert Gibbs, has now been hired on by McDonalds as the new Executive Vice President and Global Chief Communications Officer.  Quite the fancy title that Bobby has managed to acquire for himself.  Connections work wonders.  Gibbs, as you may recall, served as Barry’s communications director during the Barry’s time in the Senate as well as his 2008 campaign, and was the first press secretary for his administration, before finally departing in 2011.

McDonald’s President and CEO Steve Easterbrook released a statement that said in part: “Robert and Silvia [Lagnado] are both highly-respected, talented leaders who will bring a wealth of experience and outside perspective to McDonald’s as we build a more modern, progressive burger company.”  I can see it now, McDonald’s veggie burgers and zucchini fries.  Yum, Yum!  How better to guarantee that your sales will continue to plummet, at a highly accelerated rate, than to bring in a boob like Gibbs?

Easterbrook added that Gibbs would help restore “excitement to our business proposition” and “turnaround plan.”  After having spent years watching this guy in action, I’m just not getting why it is that someone might think that he would be the ideal choice for such a position.  Personally, I just never thought Bobby came across as being all that bright.  Perhaps now might be just the right time to at least start thinking about buying some stock in either Burger King or Wendy’s, or both.

Now I could be wrong here, but it would seem to me that if I were the head of some multi-million dollar corporation, looking to stem the bleeding from my bottom line, I just don’t see myself turning to someone like Robert Gibbs, expecting him to be my savior.  It just doesn’t compute.  And would you even want your company to be associated with such an unsavory and dishonest character as Gibbs?  I wouldn’t!  And what’s that say about the moron who decided to hire him? 

And you have to ask yourself, what on God’s green Earth does a guy who has associated himself with the most anti-capitalism president in our history know about the inner workings of a business of any size, let alone one the size of McDonald’s?  And has he ever spent any amount of time, of any duration, working in the private sector?  Or does he possess some special qualifications or unique connections that I don’t know about that would somehow explain this rather bizarre hire?     

No comments:

Post a Comment