Wednesday, December 19, 2018

PRESIDENT TRUMP AND 2020…


First let me start by saying that I have NEVER in my adult life agreed with anything that has come out of the mouth of our less than stellar ex-vice president ‘Slow Joe’ Biden.  BUT…with that said I’m afraid in this one instance I just might find myself in somewhat of agreement.  It was when he recently told ‘The Intercept’ that it was in his humble opinion that “anybody can beat” President Trump in 2020’s forthcoming presidential election.  ‘Slow Joe’ offered his impromptu remarks on December 5 while departing from the Lantos Foundation’s 10th Anniversary Gala, in Washington, DC.

It was ‘The Intercept’s’ Nicholas Ballasy who intercepted ‘Slow Joe’ as he exited the aforementioned event.  And it is a transcript of that exchange that follows below:

Ballasy: Can I ask you why you’re the most qualified person to take on President Trump?

‘Slow Joe’: No one should run for president unless they think they’re qualified

Ballasy: And why do you think you can beat President Trump? Why is this your time?

‘Slow Joe’: I think anybody can beat him.

Ballasy: Anybody? Anybody on the Democratic side?

‘Slow Joe’: Anyone from the Democrats can beat him.

It was earlier in December that ‘Slow Joe’ went so far as to describe himself as being “the most qualified person” in America to be president while speaking at the University of Montana.  It was then that he said, “I’ll be as straight with you as I can, I think I’m the most qualified person in the country to be president. The issues that we face as a country today are the issues that have been in my wheelhouse, that I’ve worked on my whole life.”  I thought it odd that he would actually make such a claim considering his rather sketchy knowledge of all things related to foreign policy. 

I guess what really worries me is that if President Trump is unable to keep his promise regarding ‘The Wall’ and continues to cave to Pelosi and Schumer, perhaps he really can be beaten by just about any Democrat.  I remain a pretty solid Trump supporter.  But if he doesn't make good on his threat to shut down the government to obtain funds for ‘The Wall,’ it may become difficult to remain so.  As I see it President Trump now has 2 options, he can keep his promise and get re-elected, or try to be friends with the Democrats and possibly end up being a one term president.

Now I know he has accomplished much for this country in what has been a relatively short period of time.  Things like rebuilding our military, our booming economy, the return of offshore drilling, the return of manufacturing jobs (without a magic wand), two conservative Supreme Court justices, trade negotiations more favorable to America, getting North Korea to the table, tax cuts, and much more.  But the American voter is a notoriously fickle creature, and elections usually tend to be more about ‘what have you done for me lately.’  And he promised to build ‘The Wall.’

And I fully realize that the president is not a King and cannot rule by fiat, although Barry ‘O’ did do a pretty good ‘King’ impersonation.  That said, border security is a winning issue and shutting down the government is not the worst thing that can happen.  The president needs to stop listening to RINOs like McConnell and the other ‘Establishment GOP’ clowns who quake in their boots whenever they hear the word "shutdown."  And if he thinks he can waffle on this issue, he's wrong.  And while many like me will never vote Democrat, the president could expect a primary challenge.

And I think if he fails on this last ditch effort, then we've wasted enough time on all of this wall business.  Frankly, it should have been done as the first thing right out of the gate.  And I am afraid that if he doesn't shut down the government for at least a few days, then his negotiating days may be over.  Nobody will believe ‘a boy who cries wolf.’ How many times can he threaten a shutdown before people just laugh at him for it? He is making himself look weak by making grand promises of fighting back and then simply bending over instead. A shut-down for a few days hurts no one.

And as I mentioned earlier, the president has succeeded in doing a lot of good. But that was before the midterms.  And it seems that ever since November, except perhaps the recent Oval Office meeting, he has been trying to be best friends with the Democrats.  If this continues, then it wouldn’t be any different than if we had Hitlery as president. I support him, for now. But if he doesn't carry through with his threat to shut down the government few will ever take him seriously again.  Everyone will simply laugh and ignore him and continue to do what they’ve always done.

By no means do I wish to imply that I’m ready to depart the ‘Trump Train.’  But I must say that after having been forced to deal with those who have been, and continue to be, little more than political eunuchs, it was in President Trump that I had high hopes in that we had finally elected a Republican in possession of a ‘pair.’  Democrats understand one thing and that’s to be grabbed by the short-hairs and yanked in the direction that’s best for the country and not the Democrat Party. And I thought that in Trump we finally had someone willing to do just that!

Or perhaps was it in making his comment that ‘Slow Joe’ was up to nothing more than employing that tried-and-true tactic of the left where we have the repeating of a falsehood to the point where it becomes accepted by the uninformed as being true. You see, his comment has now been echoed over all of ‘fake news,’ those who continually spew all manner of falsehood about the president to the unwashed masses to the point where they must surely be convinced by now that he colluded with the Russians, used campaign funds illegally, is a racist and therefore unfit for office.

The reality is, is if the Democrats had chosen to run almost anyone other than who they did there would now likely be a Democrat in the White House.  President Trump was handed a unique opportunity to change the nation for the better for generations to come. But he has yet to deliver on the one issue that got him elected, ‘The Wall.’  And now we may well end up kissing the greatest country in all of human history goodbye, because the man who was provided with the opportunity to save it, in the end may not have been up to the challenge.  But I guess we’ll see! He still has time.

No comments:

Post a Comment