Thursday, September 14, 2017

HAS DONALD TRUMP NOW BECOME ‘THE SWAMP’???


Yes folks, I admit it, I voted for Donald Trump.  Albeit rather reluctantly, but I did vote for him.  And despite my doubts about being able to actually trust the man, I will also admit that I was genuinely glad when he won the election.  And still, in looking back over the campaign at those who comprised his opposition, the only one I would have voted for with more enthusiasm than I had in voting for Trump, was Ted Cruz.  In fact it was Cruz that I voted for in my state’s primary.  And it was Cruz I continued to support until the day he threw in the towel at which time I then chose to get onboard the ‘Trump Train’.

So what is it about ‘The Swamp’ that it can have such an effect on what appears to be anyone who ventures into it?  I must admit that I had some pretty high hopes for the Trump presidency, now I’m beginning to feel rather foolish at the thought I could have been so easily taken in.  And I can hear the ‘I told you so’s’ that are already coming in from those crowing about how much smarter they were than I because they easily saw through the facade that had the rest of us fooled.  And such claims really accomplish nothing more than to further divide a party that must most certainly come together if it is to survive.    

And while he may not have been our last hope, candidate Trump was certainly the one who was able to inspire the most hope.  And now if he doesn't get the job done, then, despite the odds we may face, we need to keep working to get someone who can and will.  The campaign of Trump woke up all of those who thought their vote may actually make a difference.  And in a way, it has.  Look at how much we shook the bees nest.  Now it’s time to keep on shaking it until it falls and they leave.  Yeah, we may get stung along the way, but if we just turn and go home now, they'll keep building that nest bigger and bigger.

And so it is then that President Trump’s signature campaign promise, the building of a wall along the U.S.-Mexico border, may now still remain very much on the back burner.  The president said as much earlier today.  It was as he prepared to depart for Florida that he told reporters, “The wall will come later.”  And he went on to say, “We’re right now renovating large sections of wall, massive sections, making it brand new. We’re doing a lot of renovations, we’re building four different samples of the wall to see which one we’re going to choose, and the wall is going to be built, it will be funded a little bit later.”

President Trump said, “Well, we want to get massive border security, and I think both Nancy Pelosi and Chuck Schumer — I think they agree with it.  We met last night, as you know, Schumer, Pelosi and a whole group and I think we’re fairly close, but we have to get massive border security.”  I’m sorry but I really thought he was smarter than that.  But that too would appear might prove to be yet another mistake on my part.  You’d think I’d learn after while not to trust that anyone in politics today, even a novice like Trump, loves this country as much as I do.  Because I’m beginning to think that they really don’t.  

And as to be expected it was the White House press secretary, Sarah Sanders, who pushed back against that claims of a Wednesday night surrender to the Democrats.  She said, “While DACA and border security were both discussed, excluding the wall was certainly not agreed to.”  Apparently, neither can Sarah be trusted to tell the truth.  Because Trump’s own statements Thursday morning made it crystal clear that amnesty supporters will get their wish far sooner than the millions of supporters of the wall will get theirs.  So as is usually the case in politics, the more things change, the more things stay the same.

I must admit that I do fear that because of his cave on Obummer’s Deferred Action for Childhood (DACA), we're pretty much done as a nation.  While it’s not going to happen overnight, and it may take a while for the total collapse to take place, make no mistake, the end will come.  We just hit $20 Trillion in debt and that will escalate faster as we go along.  Part of candidate Trump’s appeal came from his apparent determination to get our house in order and to secure our borders.  Caving on DACA, or allowing the possibility of amnesty to continue is exactly the  wrong way to go and politically it will be devastating for him.

If Trump thinks appeasing those in the Democrat Party will help him, he's not the man I thought he was.  They will never vote for him regardless of how much he may kiss up to them.  In short, when Trump loses his base, which he most certainly will, he's done.  Trump isn't merely sliding to the left, he's running.  What can we expect next?  Might he be contemplating finding a place for Hitlery in his administration?  It really matters not, at this pace come the next presidential election the Democrat, whoever it might be, will win easily, and America as it has been known for centuries will simply cease to exist.

If when the dust settles ‘if’ does in fact cave on DACA, I will be that much closer to departing the ‘Trump Train’ and it’s how this issue plays out that will determine how much longer I remain onboard.  Frankly, I’d be willing to bet that it won’t be all that much longer.  And while Rush Limbaugh may say that this is all nothing more than an attempt by the Democrats and the media to drive a wedge between the president and his supporters, they will be unable to succeed unless Trump’s actions make it clear that the Democrats and those in the media are right in their claims.  So we wait and see.  It won’t take long.

1 comment:

  1. I supported Trump from the day he announced he was officially running. I want all of the dreamers deported. Build that wall and deport them all. We need to take care of Americans first. I am disappointed that even one illegal will get to stay, as are my friends who went through the legal process to become Americans. The sad thing is, where are we left if we jump off the Trump train? I am keeping him in prayers and like to think that Trump will pay for the wall himself before he lets his supporters down. We can not give up on our president. He is trying and working against all odds, so much stress and pressure and so many enemies. I see what you are saying but please don't give up on Trump.

    ReplyDelete