Thursday, February 20, 2014

THESE DAYS, WHAT DOES IT MEAN TO BE ‘AMERICAN’???


With each passing day I’m forced to watch a little more of my freedom being chipped away. And while I take great offense to that, many, if not most, of those who I am surrounded by on a daily basis seem to see nothing whatsoever wrong with that. Now whether that’s because they’re completely oblivious to what’s being made to take place or they’re simply indifferent to the fact that they are slowly becoming less free, that I haven’t been able to quite figure out yet. And I’m not sure they care.

But what I do know, and with some certainty, is that a majority of them voted for Barry, and most seem to be very excited about the thought of Hitlery ‘The Bitch of Benghazi’ Clinton running for president. And I guess what really strikes me as being rather curious is that they all have kids. Granted, I can see where the minorities are coming from, if Hitlery were to get elected any chance of their gravy-train being derailed would be much less than if, say, a Ted Cruz were to get elected.

As I think back, I remember there being quite a few us in 2008 who, upon hearing how it was that Barry declared that America was need of a ‘fundamental transformation’, kind of chuckled because we were under the impression that America couldn’t be so transformed. Well, as it turns out the laugh is on us, because Americans, as it turned out, were only too happy to allow themselves to be molded into something that’s more European-like, wanting to work less and play more.

But maybe my referring to millions of folks who live in the country as Americans is where I’m going wrong. Because while many of those I come into contact with every day say they’re Americans, it comes across as meaning not much more than if they were to say that they’re a truck driver. It’s just a label. And because they possess no real love of country, it matters very little to them whether or not the country survives. And if they don’t care whether it survives, they’ll vote for Democrats.

Try as I might, I’m not optimistic about the future of my country. And as much as I would like to blame the politicians, sadly most of the blame lies squarely with we the people. The next two elections will tell us great deal about whether we are Americans or are if we are nothing more than a collection of people who, as it just so happens, reside in this place called America. There is a difference, ya know. And while I’m pretty sure I know how this story ends, I keep hoping I’m wrong.

No comments:

Post a Comment