Wednesday, November 25, 2015

CNN’S ‘MILITARY ANALYST’ DOESN’T CARE MUCH FOR ‘THE DONALD’…


I thank my lucky stars every single day that I was fortunate to have been able to retire from the U.S. Navy before having to be subjected to serving under Barry “Almighty” as my Commander-in-Chief.  What I have seen taking place since his having assumed that role is primarily the promotion of those who are essentially nothing more than ‘Barry yes-men’ into positions that they are far from qualified to hold.  And it is because of that that Barry has been quite successful in further transitioning our military from a fighting force and into something that is not much more than a social experiment.

Which brings me to retired U.S. Army Lt. Gen. Mark Hertling, who after having retired from the military found a new position as a ‘military analyst’ over there at the Communist News Network, aka CNN.  Hertling recently criticized Trump on “CNN Newsroom With Carol Costello” where he called Trump’s strategy to “bomb the shit out of” ISIS, is “not only immoral but illegal,” and said it would lead to “mass resignations” across the military.  I would argue that if many of today’s top brass were to resign that that might actually be a good thing.  If Trump does win I would suggest that he weed out many of those who Barry promoted.

Anyway the General went on to say, “I’m trying to remain apolitical in this, but it’s increasingly difficult to do that when you hear these kind of statements of individuals who have not been there, who don’t know more than the generals do, and in many cases, don’t know more than the privates do.”  When he says that he’s trying to remain apolitical I have to chuckle.  Because if he’s affiliated himself with CNN, he wasn’t hired on to be apolitical.  So whatever opinions this guy may have about Trump, or any of the other Republicans for that matter, should already be considered as being more than just a little tainted.

So it was a couple of weeks ago now that Trump said, “I know more ISIS than the generals do, believe me. I would bomb the shit out of them. I would just bomb those suckers. And, that’s right, I’d blow up the pipes. I’d blow up the refineries. I’d blow up every single inch. There would be nothing left. And you know what? You’ll get Exxon to come in there, and in two months — have you ever seen these guys how good they are, the great oil companies? They’ll rebuild that sucker brand new. It’ll be beautiful. And I’d ring it, and I’d take the oil.”  But  Hertling suggested Trump “might want to take a visit to Iraq or some of the combat areas and see how things work on the ground. It’s now getting into the scary category.”

Hertling went on to say, “He is talking about things that he knows very little about. It’s not only a little bit scary, but it’s also dangerous, and it’s also immoral. You just don’t do that. Americans don’t fight wars by carpet-bombing nations.”  And he added, “And I think if he were on the ground in Iraq or Syria, and he would see the population that is in dire fear of ISIS and how they are intermingling with the population, I think he would have a better perspective. I think it might also be interesting to get him into that country when other organizations like Mobil or Exxon have attempted to try and repair some of the oil works.”

And in sounding more like he was trying to make excuses for Barry’s ineptitude or his arrogance, Hertling said, “I’d remind folks that less than one percent of the American population has served in the military.”  And he continued by saying, “And even a fewer percentage of the population has served in these kind of areas, so you just don’t know what it’s like. When other countries are under conflict, under siege like this, it’s hard, extremely hard, to re-establish both their economic and their industrial capacity once they are bombed.”  I guess I’m not sure what point it was that the general was trying to make here.

Costello asked Hertling what he would do if Trump came to him with this strategy.  To which CNN’s resident general responded, “I would react by first of all trying to inform him of the laws of land warfare and Geneva Conventions that are involved in this and how it’s not only immoral but illegal to do that.”  He continued, “I would not be a partner to these kind of things, because it would put me as a commander before the Hague Courts. And if he persisted in saying ‘bomb it,’ I think what you would eventually have in the military across the board is mass resignations. And that’s a tough stance to take, Carol, but truthfully, that’s what would occur.”

As I said earlier, it’s my impression, that today many of those currently in the upper echelons of military command are either nothing more than straight-up ‘Barry yes-men’, simply agreeing with whatever he says, or are those who, out of fear of retribution through demotion or forced retirement, are afraid to do what they know is right to keep our country safe.  And if any of these individuals were to feel it necessary to resign, then maybe they should.  And while I fully understand that one must obey one’s superiors, having said that, one has also taken an oath to support and defend the Constitution against ALL enemies foreign and domestic.

No comments:

Post a Comment