Monday, April 7, 2014

ROB LOWE, A LITTLE LESS OF A LIBERAL LOON…


It’s not very often, one might even say it’s pretty darn rare, that I ever find myself siding, even in the slightest, with someone from Hollywood. And it’s stranger still that it would be with someone who once was proud to refer to himself as being a really liberal Democrat. But these days it’s Rob Lowe who sounds much more like a Libertarian as he recently took it upon himself to declare, in a New York Times interview, that government should stay out of "almost everything."

But when it comes to any of these Hollywood-types, I’m always more than a little leery in believing just about anything that they might choose to say. Anyway, it was while promoting his second autobiography "Love Life," that the now 50-year-old actor compared loyalty to a political party to recreational drug use. "I find them both highly overrated," he said. "Each day another state makes it OK for my 18-year-old, any 18-year-old, to go and buy pot like he's buying a Pepsi-Cola."

He said, "And so let's face it, in the United States, recreational drug use is sort of acceptable. Belonging to one party is acceptable. But my days of just ticking the party box are long over. I judge the candidates for who they are." Adding, "My thing is personal freedoms, freedoms for the individual to love whom they want, do with what they want. In fact, I want the government out of almost everything." Here’s where I tend to part ways with Lowe, as I’m not a supporter of gay marriage.

Lowe knows little about politics, unless of course you care to count his time playing a Democrat speechwriter in that rather idiotic little show, "The West Wing," or a Republican senator on "Brothers and Sisters," or a city manager on "Parks and Recreation," and even John F. Kennedy in "Killing Kennedy." Now most of those out there in Lowe’s neck of the woods would see his having played such characters sufficient to be called political experience. I would have to disagree.

In 2009, the Daily Caller quoted Lowe as saying that he was once "a really, really liberal Democrat." But since getting married and having children, he say that he’s now more of "an independent moderate." While that may be how he views himself, I’d still have to say that some of his positions, while he claims to favor less government involvement in the private lives of Americans, still tilt, for what appear to be for the most part, to the left. So my agreement with him only goes so far.

I’m sure some may recall how it was that back in 1988, Lowe proved just how much of a liberal Democrat he really was. It was while attending the Democrat convention in Atlanta, that he was involved in a sex tape scandal involving two women, one of whom was underage. So I guess while one could say that over the course of the last 26 years Lowe has become a little less extreme in his views to the point where I find myself in agreement with some, he’s still more liberal than not.

No comments:

Post a Comment