Thursday, April 4, 2013

"HANOI JANE" GOES ON OPRAH...

 
 
Well in what I'm not quite sure was some part of weird quest for redemption or some deal with Oprah to gain some much needed viewers for her struggling network, the esteemed Ms. Jane "Better Red Than Dead" Fonda made a recent appearance on Oprah’s foundering network, OWN. During the interview, Fonda said, "I made one unforgivable mistake when I was in North Vietnam, and I will go to my grave with this." The actress/activist/traitor, as many of you old enough to remember may remember, made a rather infamous trip to North Vietnam in 1972 in which she was photographed singing with North Vietnamese military members as she sat on an anti-aircraft gun. (See photo above) She's a fraud, that's all there is to it!

She was criticized then, as has continued to be pretty much ever since, and she claims that she understands all of the anger that has been directed at her over the years. And so I guess we're all just to somehow let bygones be bygones and take her at her word when she says that she knew immediately that she had made a mistake. She also claims to have apologized repeatedly, both privately and publicly on numerous occasions ever since. But isn't that they way it always is with these leftist celebrities? They feel entitled to go out and shoot their big fat mouths off, then when ordinary folks, maybe, start spending a little less of their hard earned money on such things as going to movies or buying music, these entertainment types say they're oh so sorry.

Maintaining that she had no intention of creating any controversy, Fonda told Oprah that the event happened on the last day of her visit. And in what is, most likely, little more than an attempt at trying to garner some sympathy for herself, she said she was tired and didn’t even want to attend this photo op. For any of those who saw the pictures, I don't know about you, but old Jane didn't look all that tired to me. Nope, it looked like she was really getting into it and having a pretty good time! Sounding more like she was trying to make excuses more than expressing any genuine remorse, she said, "I don't know if I was set up or not," she said. "I was an adult. I take responsibility for my actions." The soldiers sang a song and Fonda joined in.

She said as everyone was laughing and singing and carrying on, she was led to the gun site, where she sat down. "And I was laughing and clapping, and there were pictures taken." As she walked away, Fonda claims to have suddenly realized that the pictures would be seen in the United States, and they would not look good. Gee, ya think? Fonda said, "There were no planes, the gun was not operable. It didn’t matter. This is an image that belied everything that I was." Come on, I may have been born at night, but it sure as heck wasn't last night. So, the photo "belied" everything that she was? Sorry, but I don't buy that for a second. I seem to recall things about that time just a bit differently than does Ms. Fonda.

After all, it was this little visit that visit earned for Fonda the rather dubious little moniker of "Hanoi Jane," particularly among U.S. veterans, who were outraged by photos of the young actress. And it was something that, if I remember correctly, at the time she was quite proud of. So I'm not really buying this current claim that she made a mistake. And ya, what she says may be true, I don't know. And she also claims to have met with a group of Vietnam veterans in a church basement in Connecticut back in 1988 while she was making a movie there. She said that while not everyone at the meeting became "fond of Fonda," there was healing. Sorry, but anyone who actually believes that she possess any remorse for her actions is a moron!

"What I learned," she said, "we have to listen to each other, even when we don’t agree, even when we think we hate each other. We have to listen to each other’s narratives, not interrupt defensively or with hostility, but really try to open our hearts and listen with empathy." Look, while I think there's a lot of truth in what she says, I question whether it is something she genuinely believes, because it's not generally how liberals approach things. You either agree with them, or you're accused of being some sort of an extremist. I still view her as being nothing more than an America hating liberal and I have no intention of seeing any movie that she appears in. And I contend that she's still proud of what she did those so many years ago.


No comments:

Post a Comment