Tuesday, June 25, 2013

A LETTER TO SENATOR RUBIO...


Dear Senator Rubio,

I remember asking myself, back in 2010 just as the senatorial campaign was beginning to ramp up and after Charlie Crist had officially throw in hat into the ring, that, my God, am I really going to be saddled with Crist as being my choice to vote for as a Republican. I even wrote letters to the editor that attempted to make the point of how this guy was in no way a conservative. Then I started hearing about this young upstart, some young guy by the name of Marco Rubio. So I started listening to some of the things you were saying and I thought, gee this guy sounds like just what I've been looking for.

While, as I remember, you weren't given much of a chance, at least at first, of being able to defeat Crist, but I thought, you were somebody who I could actually vote for without having to dash home and take a shower immediately after leaving my polling place. I loved how it was that you described America, and in listening to your various speeches, it sounded as if you genuinely loved this country as much as I do. And I did something that I hadn't done in a very long time, I actually gave money to your campaign. I wasn't exactly a huge some of money, but at least I felt as if I was assisting in something special.

Well I guess, in a way proving that miracles do happen, over the course of the campaign you came to take a rather sizeable lead over Crist, to the point where he decided to drop out of the race only to return in what has become typical Crist fashion. He decided to run as an independent, appearing quite desperate to get to the Senate. But luckily, or so I thought, his efforts we all for naught, and I could not have been happier on election night to hear that Florida would be sending Senator Rubio to Washington. I felt that slowly but surely we were getting more of the right people into Congress.

And I thought that maybe, just maybe that by sending you into the fight as a conservative, that there was still hope that maybe other voters in other states would be able to recognize the fact that conservative are not what liberals make us out to be. We love our country, we want to see everyone succeed and we want the playing field to be level for all. And we want this country to return to those values on which this country was founded and that make it truly unique among all others. This, I thought, could be mark the beginning of our long road back to restoring America to its rightful place.

Well, sadly less than three short years after arriving on the floor of the U.S. Senate I watch you teaming up with the likes of Chuck Schumer and Dick Durbin, and now find myself wondering what the Hell happened. And I hear you saying so many things about this immigration that simply are not true It does nothing to secure our borders and contains far too many amendments that have nothing whatsoever to do with immigration. And yet you and 14 other Republicans have absolutely no problem in continuing to support it. It’s a sham, you know it and those of us who have been paying attention, also know it.

To say that I am disappointed in you would be a gross understatement. I feel like I was lied to, convinced to vote for you, and to donate money, under what were false pretenses. Now I know I shouldn't be surprised by the fact that you essentially stabbed me in the back, you are a politician after all. I suppose it's my fault really, I screwed up, I trusted you. But, Senator Rubio, here's something that you can take to the bank. I'll not forget this act of political treachery, and it will be a very cold day in Hell before you ever get another dollar of mine or another vote from me. Simply put, I'm done with you.

And it is my fervent hope, that come 2016 we here in Florida will be able to convince someone like Allen West to go up against you in a primary. You have demonstrated that you are no longer worthy to represent those who put you their faith in you and who you are supposed to be working for. You've now shown your true colors, Mr. Rubio, and I feel like such a sucker. It just seems as if there are just so few people in government who are worthy of the trust placed in them and you, sir, are not one of them. As much as it pains me to say this, you, Senator Rubio, are a liar. It pains me, because I fell for your lies.

In voting for you I feel I was sold a bill of goods. It's my own fault, I suppose, because, as they say, if something sounds to good to be true, it usually is. And in this case, while you sounded too good to be true, I voted for you anyway. And with twenty/twenty hindsight being what it is, maybe I should have asked more questions or been a little less eager to vote for someone who sounded so much like me on the important issues. Because in the end, we're not so much alike after all. So enjoy your remaining years in the senate, because hopefully they will be your last to be spent in any kind of public service.

Yours very truly,

Betrayed.

No comments:

Post a Comment