Tuesday, June 11, 2013

THE POLITICS OF BETRAYAL…

BIRDS OF A FEATHER?
When it comes to Chris Christie, I ask myself each and every day, how could I have so stupid to have allowed myself to have been so badly fooled by this guy. I mean, even after his rather lackluster convention speech I still had myself talked into believing that he was for real, and that he was just what my party needed. But it wasn't too long after that that the real Chris Christie slowly started to bob to the surface. And to say that I was disappointed is a bit of an understatement. And I have to admit that I was more than a little embarrassed at having been so easily fooled. It was a lot like how I feel now after having fallen for all that I heard from Marco Rubio which first caused me to want to support and then vote for him. But that's a topic for another time.

Anyway, back to Christie, who, apparently, it now seems has more than a few New Jersey Democrats now willing to line up to declare their support the rotund one from New Jersey. Christie recently landed the endorsement of one of the state's most prominent Democrat Party members as recently as this past Monday and is expected to receive another on Tuesday, at least according to the Huffington Post. State Sen. Brian Stack, who also is the mayor of Union City, made his formal endorsement of Christie on Monday, citing the governor's willingness to work across the aisle and his help on local issues as the reason he chose him over Democrat candidate Barbara Buono.

According to the Newark Star Ledger, Essex County Executive Joe DiVincenzo will also endorse Christie on Tuesday, which will then bring the total number of prominent Democrat endorsements of the Republican governor to a rather impressive, 16. "I'm proud of the work we have accomplished together and I'm honored to call Governor Christie a friend," Stack said in a press release issued by Christie's campaign. "There is no one better suited to continue that work for Union City, for this district, and for New Jersey altogether, which is why I am proudly endorsing him for reelection today." Well, ain't that quite the ringing endorsement coming from a Democrat.

Ya know, I guess I just don't get what it is about being in politics that seems to have this effect on people. Is it that they become so intoxicated with the attention they're paid, or with their newfound power? Or is it simply the fact that they have a title? Or maybe I'm just being way too naïve in my choosing to think that I can actually believe what I'm being told by people that I thought I could trust, failing to realize that they're only telling me what I want to hear in order to gain my support. Support that, once it has resulted in my choosing to vote for them, is no longer needed. And while I am not in a position to vote for Christie, he is far from being the only example of someone who possesses this mentality.

No comments:

Post a Comment