Friday, October 11, 2013

VERY TROUBLING TIMES…


I have to say that never before in my adult life have I ever had the sense that my country is so close to slipping completely out of control. Actually, I think it would be very safe to say that it is now, and very energetically so, be pushed in that direction. And yet, as I look around me, I hear very few, if any, voices of genuine concern. I see people going about their daily business everyday as if they don’t have a care in the world. They talk about the future as if it is actually a sure thing. Well, I’m here to tell you, that it’s not!

I listen to the talking heads on television and I wonder if those on either side really believe anything of what they say, or are they simply doing nothing more that preaching to their respective choirs. I’d like to believe that those who seem to espouse those very same things that I believe are being honest about their sentiments, but at the same time I can’t help but wonder if it’s all about finding your own little niche, and playing it up for all it’s worth all in the name of ratings and therefore, money.

Quite honestly these days, I’m not sure who I can believe, or trust. I know there are very few politicians who can be trusted, and the vast majority of those in our state-controlled media are just as bad. Actually, those in the media are probable worse than the politicians, because we’re supposed to be able to trust our media to provide us with what is supposed to be usable information. But these days all they do is feed us propaganda all in an effort to persuade us into coming around to their side of the favorite cause of the day.

I do hear people constantly complaining about how nothing ever seems to get done in Congress. And what strikes me is just how ignorant most people seem to be about how our system of government is actually supposed to work. While I freely admit that I am by no means an expert on the Constitution, I have done something that a majority of our politicians, and most likely a majority of our citizens, have not done, and that is I have read it. And therein, I think, lies the problem.

And where Americans once saw government interference in their lives as being something to be avoided, most Americans, today, seem to yearn for such interference. And as much as the Democrats, as well as many on the other side, would like to have you believe, ignorance is not bliss. And if the last four years have proven anything to us, it’s that ignorance can be very, very dangerous. And yet, people seem to be willing to do very little to replace that ignorance with real usable knowledge.

I keep hoping that more people will eventually see the light. That there will be some sort of event that might finally shake loose those things that I would like to think are still inside us all, but that we just haven’t used in a while, and may have forgotten were even there. You know, those qualities that were once looked upon as being so uniquely American. Things like self-reliance, a strong work ethic, a rugged individualism, pride in being able to provide for one’s family and a desire to be self-sufficient.

These days when I look at Washington, I see fewer and fewer individuals who are actually on the side of "We the People." And whenever I think I see a ray of hope in those who claim to be on my side, the end result is, more often than not, nothing more than the equivalent of a swift kick right in the old gonads. We’re spending our children’s futures, while, at the same time, being in debt up to our eyeballs to China. And all our ‘leaders’ seem to want to do is to keep madness going.

And as much as I would like to, I just can’t bring myself to blame it all on the politicians. Because it seems that every time there is even the slightest bit of talk about finally taking the necessary measures to reverse the insanity, those trying to do just that are maligned, slandered and vilified courtesy of all manner of incendiary rhetoric. And, sadly, many people allow themselves to believe such garbage. And as a result, those folks who were at least trying to the right thing, wilt under the pressure brought to bear.

But wouldn’t it be something if people would simply choose to ignore all of the inflammatory and toxic rhetoric, and finally be able to admit that, yes, for the sake of our children, we must do something even though we know that it’s not going to be easy. I know, I’m living in a dream world, and the chances of it ever becoming a reality are remote to say the least. If the little light bulb ever does go off in the minds of people, I’m quite sure it’ll be too late to do anything. The time for taking action will have been long passed.

No comments:

Post a Comment